The new, carefully stitched
into a historic restoration

Athlone House

Built for the industrialist Edward Brooke in 1870, this architecturally eclectic house passed through successive ownerships. Requisitioned by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, it was later purchased by the National Health Service and converted for use as a hospital. Abandoned in 2003 the property fell into severe disrepair before being salvaged by its new owner.

Having knowledge of its vivid history, our task has been to undertake, in close consultation with the local community, a full restoration of the house and the rehabilitation of its grounds.

Alongside reinstating grand original features lost from the building, a contemporary yet sensitive pavilion built in pierced brickwork is added where once there stood a glass and cast iron palm house.

Location

Highgate, London,
United Kingdom

Type

Residential

Project

Restoration, Refurbishment & Extension

Size

35,000 ft² / 3,250 m²

Scope

Architecture, Interior Design, FF&E Design & CGI production

A riot of crenelations, Gothic traceries, Tudor chimneys and Dutch gables.

Function and ornament
meet on an elaborate
antique brass door lock.

Taken somewhere between 1874 and 1880, this historic photograph of the west-facing façade of Athlone House shows the original palm house at the north end of the building.

This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.